Monday, August 8, 2011

About crocheting things for people

A few months ago, I crocheted an afghan for a friend of a friend of a friend.  I had crocheted my friend an afghan as a Christmas gift.  When her friend's friend saw it, she wanted one.  So, I went about crocheting her a lacy afghan, with no pattern.  After spending hours and hours crocheting it, I gave it to her.  I guess she thought she only had to pay for the yarn, because that's all she wanted to pay me for.  Except she didn't have the money to pay me for either.  So, my friend ended up paying me $40 even though I argued and argued with her that it wasn't her problem to have to pay me.  
A plain shelled afghan can easily cost $50, not including the yarn, depending on the size.  I normally see single bed sized afghans for about $120-$150.  But some afghans, such as the extremely lacy ones, can cost thousands.
I'd hate for another crocheter or knitter to go through all that work, only to find out the person doesn't expect to pay you.  So, before you go and crocheted somebody an afghan, make sure to figure out a price with them.  If somebody thinks they don't have to pay for an afghan, or any crocheted thing for that matter, that they want you to make for them, they need to know how much of your life it takes up to crochet.  Knitting takes ever longer than crochet.  


And by the way, you can save a load a money on yarn at Michaels if you go to Retailmenot.com and print out Michaels coupons.  You just type in Michaels in the search bar on the front page and it'll show you different coupons.  They are usually 40% coupons which you can only use on one regular priced item.  I tend to go there with my mom and her friends and them each the cash for the yarn and a coupon so that I can get several items in one visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment